Grid system of the Institute of Applied Physics is a part of the Ukrainian National Grid System and is used for complex calculations by the Institute's staff and researchers from other academician institutions.
IAP cluster is a Beowulf cluster, which consists of 11 client nodes and a server node. Users can utilize 88 cores for calculation as well as a wide range of applications and compilers, which are MPI and OpenMP - friendly. To control node loading a Torque system is used.
- 2x Intel® Xeon® CPU 3.2 GHz, 2Gb memory, 3x 250GB HDD
- Operating system: Scientific Linux 5, core 2.6.18 i686
The node works as an entry point for users and supports the basic services: PBS server, MySQL database, license servers, NFS-server.
- 2x Intel® Xeon® CPU Quad-Core 5320, 4Gb memory, 2x250GB HDD
- Operating system: Scientific Linux 5, ядро 2.6.18 i686
- Programming languages: C/C++, Fortran (gcc 4.1.1, Intel Fortran Compiler 11.0), perl 5.8.8, python 2.4.3
- Special package: Wien2k
An internal grid net is built on the basis of Gigabit Ethernet, external channel – 50Мb/s
The computational cluster can be used by IAP staff to solve scientific tasks. The grid cluster is connected with the Ukrainian national grid that allows its utilization by research workers of other NAS organizations.
Institute's staff carries out studies in the following directions:
- Studies of non-linear dynamics of charged particles in the probe-forming systems allowing for the initial non-uniform particle distribution in the phase volume and inhomogeneous linear gradient magnetic fields.
- Simulation of high-frequency ionization and heating of plasma electron component in the presence of the inhomogeneous magnetic field using 3-D codes to solve equations for components of electromagnetic fields and to characterize confined plasma (density, electron and ion temperature, etc.).
- Simulation of extraction of ion beam from the helicon plasma and optimization of the phase characteristics of extracted ion beam.
- Simulation of a defect formation in structural materials of nuclear engineering as a result of irradiation, and further formation of hierarchical defect structures and their evolution to estiamte degradation of physical-chemical properties of materials and characteristic time of the processes.
- Simulation of the particle beam passing through the amorphous and crystal materials allowing for the cascades of atomic displacements, excitation and relaxation of the electron subsystem, and surface and orientational effects.
Division: Research Center of Equipment for Education and Research
The last update date: 24.07.2014
On December 22, 2021, the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine announced a competition to replace the director of the Institute of Applied Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
According to the Statute of the NAS of Ukraine, the right to nominate candidates for the position of director of a scientific institution has: the Presidium of the NAS of Ukraine, the Bureau of the relevant branch of the NAS of Ukraine, members of the NAS of Ukraine, the Academic Council of the institution.
A candidate for the position of director of a state scientific institution must be fluent in the state language, have a doctorate or doctor of philosophy and work experience as a researcher and (or) research and teaching staff of at least 10 years.
Training of scientific personnel